Thursday, October 27, 2011

An Evening with Brendel

My teacher told my recently, "do one thing a week that is amazing, out of the norm for you, and something you will think back on and remember forever."  She said, even if it was taking a hike out to watch the sunset - it didn't have to be anything expensive, or crazy, but as long as it was something inspiring - make the time and effort to do it once a week, and it will make your life better.

I can't remember time I've done anything like that, but after my recent experience I am definitely making it a goal to schedule in some awesomeness once a week!

I was recently invited to a special private event.  Renowned pianist, lecturer and author Alfred Brendel was coming to Berkeley to give a lecture to a small intimate group of 60.  There were no tickets, and it was by invitation only.

I had a hard time getting my little brother to understand the importance of this, so I explained to him (he's a huge NBA fan) by means of an illustration.  I said, say LeBron James (his favorite player - let's NOT get into that discussion please lest I kill myself.  But you can insert anyone you like:  Jerry Rice, Michael Jordan, Willie Mays, Alexander McQueen, Jimi Hendrix, Steven Scorcese, whoever you want) - say that person is coming over to my house for dinner.  I can invite 10 people, they get to come over for free, you don't have to bring anything, you just come and listen to this person talk.  About their inspiration, their tips and tricks, their ideas, their experiences, etc.  And I invite YOU.  He immediately said "Ohh I see...that's pretty cool! Have fun!"

It was pretty amazing! It's inspiring just to be in such close quarters with such an amazing mind, that, at 80, still blows everyone in the room combined, out of the water.  The hall was beautiful, Brendel has a delightful sense of humour, I took some good notes, and it was definitely one of the greatest experiences of my life!

 lighting was terrible and we weren't allowed to take pictures so I had to make due with my camera phone, and with flash off.




It was very late and very dark when I got home, and I was very tired, so there was no way I was going to get a good outfit post, but remember this?  I wore my GAP black skinnies out for the whole evening and I have to say - I LOVE them! Totally worth every penny.

 I wore:  
GAP Always Skinny Jeans in Black
Forever 21 Crochet Sweater (old)
Sequin Tank I picked up at Marshalls for $12 - yay budget shopping!
and my favorite Blue Suede Jessica Simpson wedges for that pop of color.

A close up of just how sparkly the tank is - I love it! And for $12?! You can't find something this amazing at that price anywhere else!  Yay for Marshalls/TJmaxx/Ross shoppers!

I knew this color wouldn't show, but I am absolutely in-love with my blue suede shoes! Not to mention, it's so incredibly comfortable. I've been on my feet walking all day in these and they don't bother me!  Don't worry, keep your eyes peeled because I'm positive they'll be back on here again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment