Thursday, November 3, 2011

Routine

I like to think of myself as very "loyal."  I'm one of those people where, when I eat repeatedly at the same place, once I've found my favorite dish, I always order that one.  You know those types.  Some people might call it "unadventurous"...but I really prefer loyal!

I'm a total creature of habit, and the same goes with my makeup routine.  I actually really do NOT like to wear make up, and on most days where I'm just running errands or hanging out with family (considering no photos are being taken), I try stay bare-faced all day.  Unfortunately, when I don't wear any makeup, I look like a 12-year old.  (If I wear makeup but wear the wrong clothes, that brings me up to high-school age looking.  Refer to this funny post on Asians and age appropriateness.)  Therefore, when I am working, or even just when I am going out and about, most days I have to wear at least some eye makeup to make myself look older and more professional.  There have been a few days when I've slummed out in my sweats, headband, and no makeup, and gotten into conversations with potential clients, and sorely regretted my completely unprofessional look, so I've learned it's better to always be safe than sorry.

I thought I'd share my go-to products:

EYES
L to R, top to bottom:
NYX eye shadow in black
Maybelline waterproof ultra-liner in black
Maybelline Master Drama creme pencil in Midnight Master
Maybelline Line Stylist eyeliner in Onyx
Maybelline Lash Stiletto Mascara in Very Black

Many days I don't wear anything on my face, but I will put on a little eye-makeup.  In case you can't tell, I am a HUGE fan of Maybelline eye-makeup, and even when I try out new things, I always go back to my favorites.  

I love waterproof liquid liner because of it's durability, but don't like how difficult it is to remove, and feel terrible when it causes stress to my sensitive lids.  I love creme liner but don't like how it smudges on my eyes, even with primer.  So I've recently discovered that marrying the two gives me exactly the results I want.  So on my top lid, I run a swipe of Maybelline's new Master Drama creme liner (basically the creme liner in pencil form), which is smooth, solid, gentle, and comes off easily.  Then at the corners, I take the ultra-liner and create the last 1/3 of my line as well as usually a little cat-eye tip.  On the bottom I use the line stylist because it's super skinny to line my waterline, then apply the NYX matte black shadow over to lock it in place.  Finally, curl my lashes once with my Shu Uemura curler, and apply one coat of Maybelline's Lash Stilletto mascara - my favorite! I love almost all Maybelline's mascara (except for Great Lash...never figured out what was so great about that one) but Lash Stilletto is by far my favorite.  It's light enough to wear for an everyday look, and also stacks well for occassions that call for more drama.  All of these products can be purchased at your local drugstore, what's better than great products at a great price?! My favorite combination!


FACE
Make Up For Ever Full Cover Concealer in 6 Ivory
Make Up For Ever Super Loose Matte Powder in 12 Translucent Natural
Natural FX (Cover FX) Water Based Foundation in M10 Bone
Anastasia Brow Wiz in Medium Ash

On my face is where I am willing to shell out a little more of my hard earned cash.  I have extremely sensitive skin that breaks out easily.  (Literally, if the wind blows too hard and my face comes in contact with too much dust, I'll break out.) So what products I put on my face for the days I wear face makeup are extremely important.  The MUFE Concealer is pricey, but a tube will last a long time, and it's completely worth it.  Best concealer I've ever used.  I love the powder also - notice its disheveled appearance - it's almost time for a new tub! And on days that I will be taking pictures, I go to Anastasia Brow Wiz for an extra touchup.  The ONLY foundation that my skin is able to handle that I've tried thus far, is this Natural FX (a line of Cover FX) water based foundation with SPF 15.  I can use it because it is paraben-free, oil free, and doesn't contain any of the chemicals that my skin is sensitive to.  On top of that, it gives excellent coverage, feels light, looks good in pictures, and lasts all day.  I apply with a foundation brush, mixing 1 part foundation with 2 parts moisturizer.  (I use the one my dermatologist recommends to me - Elta MD moisturizer with SPF 45)


CLEAN
Target Up&Up makeup remover cleansing towelettes and liquid eye makeup remover

Target is one of my absolute most favorite places of all time, and I love their brand Up&up.  Always about a dollar or more cheaper than the name brand, I often times even end up liking it more.  I use both of these products on my face before a final wash with my dermatologist prescribed face wash.  (Avéne Eau de Thermâle extra gentle cleanser)

So that's that!

No comments:

Post a Comment