Sunday, August 21, 2011

Extreme Heat + Humidity

What do you wear when it's about 110 degrees plus 98% humidity?!

Dressing has always been a huge challenge for me when I go to China.  Since everything you're wearing sticks to your body about 5 seconds after you walk out your front door, I always have to fight the urge to just stay in my birthday suit all day.

I really wanted to stick to outfits that were simple (think: no layering and minimal fabric), breathable (cottons only please) and yet still age-appropriate (since it's so hot there that I keep my makeup to a minimum, it's totally easy to get mistaken for a 12-year-old depending on my outfit choices.

This year I found that sticking to simple yet classic pieces with a few choice accessories, helped me to look put-together, yet still stay cool.

I was having too much fun at first, and then quickly became too sick to take too many pictures, but here's one example of the types of oufit I wore:

Haha, terrible picture I know, but I was running out the door and after 3 crazy weeks abroad this was all I had.

Pink cotton shorts from Express 
White v-neck pocket tee by Tilt 
and camel leather belt from H&M

You can't see them, but for almost the majority of the trip I stuck with these shoes:
Payless Airwalk "Hope" in Tan

and they were amazing! For only 20 bucks (and obviously a straight knock-off of Tom's, which costs more than double), they were comfy enough to walk all over Shanghai in, and I could wear them all day in aforementioned heat + humidity and my feet never got sweaty or stinky. (Hey sorry, but it's important to know when considering summer shoes!) The color was also great, it went with everything and is a great, elongating nude color.

When I bought them I was told they were a temporary item, part of this project Payless was doing:

...but they are so amazing and such a great bang for your buck, I'm thinking about going back just to see if they're still carrying them, and perhaps pick one up in a different color.

No comments:

Post a Comment