Sunday, July 17, 2011

Seafood + Jazz

My camera is still barely hanging onto its last breath, so these are actually pics courtesy of my beloved blackberry.  I managed to snap only one full outfit pic before my camera passed out for the day, but alas it was out--of-focus.  Go figure.  Praying praying PRAYING it will last through upcoming China/HK trip...  I have absolutely no money right now to buy a new one!



These are a few new things I discovered last week:

SCOMA'S Seafood Restaurant at Pier 37
Overall Grade:  A-

Came here for lunch one day - if you're going to hit it up, take my suggestion and look at a map closely!!  Scoma's is tucked away behind the main strip of shops and restaurants, which actually makes the location kind of nice.  More locals and less tourists, because most tourists don't bother venturing into the deserted beyond.  And it appears that if you're smart enough to figure out how to actually get your car there also, there's a few spaces available in a small private lot.  

Another area in which we did not do our research well was pricing.  This place is steep, even for lunch.  Oops.  We ended up going with the prix fix menu which for 24.95 gives you an appetizer (chowder or salad), a choice of 5 different entrees at a slightly smaller portion, and dessert of the day.  Best deal on the menu for sure and therefore an easy choice. The clam chowder was good, although I still like the one at Sam's better.  (Actually to be honest, I like almost everything about Sam's better.) 

Service was okay, not bad, not stellar.  Seafood was fresh, but I'm not die hard enough about seafood to want to come back and shell out another 30bucks for any entree.  (The "fisherman's pasta" sounded really good, but at a whopping $34, I decided it wasn't worth my grad school student budget to find out exactly how good.)

Verdict:  If you're in the area and have some serious moolah to shell out, no harm in checking it out.  If not, you'll definitely live.  For me, it's just simply not in my budget at this particular moment in life.


Le Colonial - Upstairs bar and lounge/Live music venue
Overall Grade: A+

Let me make this very clear, I did NOT eat here!!  This review applies only to the lounge area of the restaurant (upstairs).  We only came after dinner to check out the live music/dancing - which I thought was AMAZING.  (Then again, being a classical musician and a seriously old soul, I'm probably very biased, so take this with a grain of salt.  In fact, amongst my party, I think I am the one who by far enjoyed it the most.)

The live band and singer sounded like Frank Sinatra's old buddies (although for the record the singer was probably only in his 40's).  The atmosphere and ambiance was amazing - you are instantly transported to a swanky war-time bar in probably a nicer area of town, a place that the soldiers and local girls would perhaps mingle in the evenings.  (Although the bf did say that it brought terrible war-time atrocities to his mind and he did not enjoy those thoughts.)  I ordered a drink the Gigi, which was pricey, but delightful strong yet smooth and delicious.

The best part of this place is actually the customers that come.  Couples in their 40's-70's dress to the nines (literally, think dress code for The Royal Wedding) then bust out their dance chops that have been continually brewing for the last few decades.  I could have sat there and watched them dance all night!  Made me wish my grandfather was still alive.  He was a competitive ballroom dancer and for my whole life I've wished that he could have been around long enough to teach me something.

I was so sad to leave!  

Verdict:  Everything about this place is cute, the building, the decor, the music, the little flowers in the drinks, service is friendly...if you're done with eating and want some classy entertainment for a few hours, and you're someone like me who loves Hemingway, old movies, and "Shall We Dance", be sure to check it out!

P.S.  If you're going to swing by, DRESS UP.  I was unfortunately told there was no dress code so I showed up in ripped jeans and converses and was too mortified to leave my seat at all.  So, dress up...unless you won't care at all that the rest of the crowd looks like they just had dinner at the white house and you look like you just came from an Offspring concert.

No comments:

Post a Comment