Monday, July 11, 2011

Glitter Nails

Spent a wonderful three days at the 2011 "Let God's Kingdom Come" Convention.  The program was encouraging and motivating, but physically I am wiped out! I was much obliged to not step out of the house at all today, and spent the morning cooking, cleaning, doing the laundry, and tying up random odds and ends.  Will have a nice afternoon/evening of teaching ahead of me.

As promised, the nail review from last week.  I finally figured out what was wrong with my pictures...it appears that my camera (which recently developed some weird spots/black spots on the screen) has lost all its auto-focus capabilities as well.  Hmm...hopefully it'll last through my China trip, if not I'm going to have to start setting aside money to purchase a new camera :(

I used four polishes for this look:

From left to right:
Chanel 557 Morning Rose
O.P.I. & Katy Perry Teenage Dream
Wet & Wild Craze 237 Glitz
Sally Hansen Dries Instantly 30 Second Top Coat

That's also the order I put them on.  Here's your "recipe":
(adapt as you wish with primers, preps and base coats)
Apply 1 layer of Chanel Morning Rose
Starting from halfway up, apply one coat OPI Teenage Dream
Closer to the tip, apply a second coat OPI
At very tip (where you would put a french white tip), apply 1 layer Wet&Wild
Finish off with two coats clear top coat

 (with flash)

(without flash)
Again, apologize for poor quality photos, my camera sadly seems to truly be on its last breath...


I love this look because it's light enough to not be overwhelming on hot summer days, but yet still bright and glittery enough to be a great accessory for night-outs, and fun/more formal activities.  

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this Chanel 557, when I bought it I was told it was a 2011 Summer collection limited edition item, and though I never ever spend this much on a bottle of nail polish (just seems way to extravagant to me), I splurged on this one and it was well worth it.  This polish looks good alone or as a base coat, one coat or three coats.  Depending on the lighting and number of coats, it can look more coral or more pink. It brightens up your skin and makes your hands look beautiful.  I've seen it on a few different skin tones and seems to flatter all.  Love it!

I had actually given up on being able to find this OPI and Katy Perry limited edition polish, but surprisingly found it at a random little beauty supply store in downtown San Mateo one day when I wasn't even looking for it, months after the line had sold out in ULTAs and had ceased to be restocked.  Not only that, it was a few dollars cheaper than most other retailers too! One of my favorite glitter/top coats.  By itself it's not overwhelming at all, carries the perfect amount of sheer color, and has the perfect combination of fine and medium glitters.  Sometimes I like to just put one coat over a coat of nude polish.

The wet&wild Craze collection of glitter polishes has to be one of my favorites, and I think it's much better quality than a lot of polishes that are much pricier as well.  The carries a nice, full-bodied color with just one coat, which is something I find annoying in most other glitters - it's almost always too sheer in one coat with glitter sparsely spread.  Not this one! It's packed with glitter-ful color, but still not too overwhelming.  One of my favorite drug-store finds of all time.

A word on the Sally Hanson top coat - it really does dry in 30 seconds.  A time-saver that I really appreciate!  I also love that it's super shiny, so I often use just one coat of it to brighten up other polishes that aren't as shiny as I want it to be.

Overall note on glitter nail designs:  One of the things that I simultaneously love and hate about glitter polishes is that the glitter is almost impossible to remove without scraping/possibly damaging your nail.  While this is definitely a disadvantage when you want to remove it, it's also a huge advantage if you're looking for a design that will last a LONG time.  (ie great for long vacations)  I tend to put this on when I know I will be away/too busy to take care of my nails for a long time (hey even though they're usually bare for piano I still try to make them presentable!), and I try to let it grow out to the point where after I remove it, I will just clip off most of the damaged tip areas anyway.
You'll probably get tired of seeing it long before this nail design ever chips away!


No comments:

Post a Comment